Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Jump off the Judgment Train

“People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves." — Albert Camus (The Fall)

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up." — Jesse Jackson

"So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another." (Romans 14:1-13)

Something was said today that made me heat up a little. I’m usually not very quick to respond to people who make broad statements that are insulting to one or more people but I felt compelled to do it today.

Today I feel really good about my accomplishments. I finally finished my 4 year degree and plan to continue taking classes to prep for Grad school. It took a heck of a lot of work to get there, many hours of studying late into the night, staying in on the weekends when my friends were out having a good time, I even did homework on my honeymoon, that’s how dedicated and crazy I was. Now before I get flack from people, I only did a couple Chem assignments while in Jamaica and let me tell you the connection isn’t great so I didn’t get far. Why didn’t I do it before I left you ask? Well I was sort of busy planning a wedding that’s why. Anyway, that is neither here nor there. The comment that was made was broad and to my knowledge not directed toward me but still, it pissed me off.

I don’t appreciate when one person decides that their efforts warrant more praise than another’s. Who are you to judge and feel so self righteous that you have to put others down. Personally I think it is lame. I’ve since removed this person, because well, I have no backbone. There I said it. To be honest this person is very good with words and although my response to his ignorant post was fully warranted I do believe he could have made me feel like a fool, despite the fact that I’m not. So I just shut up right then and there. I do wish I was one of those people who was fully able to speak my mind and not feel a shred of remorse, but I’m not. It really gets my goat when people feel as though they are better than others. I’ve had my days where I feel like something I did was pretty great and yes sometimes I want to brag about it because I’m proud of myself but I try not to put others down in the process. If you feel I’ve put you down for my own gain then by all means let me know because I need to have a better attitude if that’s the case.

With all that said, this person had made a remark about how easy college was for him. That’s all fine and great for you dude but just because it was easy for you doesn’t mean you have to make others feel like crap. Not all of my classes were hard, nor did I struggle with all of them so this wasn’t something I took personally it just rubbed me the wrong way. I will say that there were some courses that gave me a run for my money and I studied my ass off for them. I didn’t always get a perfect grade but I worked hard and I think my overall college experience has shown that. Yes it took me ages to get through what should have been 4 years of college but if you want to judge me for that then you are just as bad as this guy.

So, what I am getting at here is don’t judge people when you don’t know the extent of their situation and even if you do know their situation, who are you to judge? Am I saying that I am perfect and have never judged a book by its cover or made an assumption about someone based on their actions? No, because I know I have and I’m not proud of it. I’m just saying that maybe, just maybe we should make an effort not to post self righteous, pat-yourself-on-the-back, a$$hole comments on facebook. You are free to say what you want, when you want, wherever you want, as I am doing now, but for the love of all things good can you think before you speak….or post.

No comments:

Post a Comment