Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Giving Family the news

So I’d finally told Justin after waiting for what seemed like hours for him to come home from work. After we had dinner I just had to tell my parents. If I waited even one more day I might go crazy and not be able to tell them the way I had planned. So we headed off to the store to buy the supplies. We picked up two “I love my Grandma” bibs (one for my mom and one for his) and a package of newborn diapers. As it turns out Greg, my dad has never ever changed a diaper so we were going to try to send him the message that diaper changes are coming in his future. We wrapped everything up, I put the test in my mom’s bag (yes the pee stick, but don’t worry the fancy ones have caps) and we headed over. I had a good cover story for stopping by unexpectedly at 9:00 at night. I’d made some cookies for my dad’s birthday and wanted to bring them over.

They open their gifts and the first thing my dad says is “are these diapers because I’m OLD?!” but he quickly realized that was not the case as my mom started shrieking “ARE YOU?!”. We got all of this on tape mind you and we still watch it and laugh our butts off. I say to my mom, well read the test! So again with the shrieking, “where are my glasses, where are my glasses” as if it would have said anything other than pregnant at that point. My mom really had no clue it was coming which is what made it so great.

Wednesday Oct 31st

Shortly after we told my parents we told Justin’s Mom and Stepdad. We asked them out to dinner and hid the gifts under the table so they wouldn’t suspect anything. They are big colts fans so for his stepdad we bought tiny little baby colts hats. We gave his mom one of the bibs that said “I love my Grandma” as well. They were pretty excited and Justin and Gary promptly started talking about building a dirt bike track out at their house. At this point baby was the size of a poppy seed so I don’t think they were getting ahead of themselves at all. I mean time flies you know, one second it’s a poppy seed, the next their borrowing your car keys.

Justin’s Dad and Stepmom

Things worked out pretty well since Justin’s dad was coming to visit the last weekend in August. We bought a little yellow onesie that said “Are these really my relatives?”. The funniest part was that when he opened it he thought it was an outfit for their little dog Sami. Then he realized that it had buttons where the dog’s butt would go. I said “you know what that means riiigggghhhttt??” I think a light bulb went on at that moment because his face lit up and he was super happy for us. We were sad that we couldn’t tell Cathy in person but he promised to call us the next day and give her the gift so we could hear her reaction when she opened it. She immediately teared up which we knew meant that she was really excited too!

Since this will be grandbaby #1 for Justin’s parents and grandbaby almost #1 for mine (I’ll explain in a moment) both families were pretty much ecstatic with the news. The exciting part of this being “almost grandbaby #1” for my family is that my brother and his wife are expecting a baby too! She is only 1 month ahead of us so there will be TWO babies in the family within a very short time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment