Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A New Beginning in Tornado Alley-2006

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/01428/tornado1en.html

To begin the year I took a few business classes and a geology class for shits and giggles I guess. I had a decent job with a Logistics company making more money than I thought possible with no degree (come to find out it wasn’t much at all!) I kept taking the business courses because they “fit” with my 8-5 schedule and I thought I’d never find anything with a flexible schedule for a nursing program. Around this time I also experience my first big corporate let down. My company consolidated, this meant you move to Overland Park Kansas or you don’t have a job. I’d just built a house in 2005 so I was terrified of both being out of a job and/or the possibility of moving out of my house and what the heck to do with it.

I moved.

I took the money and ran. I thought Kansas would be a neat place to find a little more independence. Heck I even thought I might get to see a tornado! So I rented my house out to some good friends and took a leap of faith, just me, the moving truck, and my little dog Oleander. (When I talk about Kansas I like people to picture Oly and I as Dorothy and Toto) I thought it would give me a chance to reflect on some things, experience life outside of the realm of my usual support system and make a new name for myself even. I enjoyed it the first few months. I made new friends, one of which had a link back to my hometown! What a small world we live in. The 60 hour work weeks became too much for me. I switched to a supervisor position on a crazy 6pm-3am shift and just couldn’t do it any longer. I came home. Consolidations/corporate moves can be rough, everything started to fall to pieces so I jumped ship with a couple of my colleagues from my hometown as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment