Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Coupons












So I picked up this couponing thing in an attempt to be a little better with my money so we can afford Grad school and babies. I've been doing really well at it, got a couple things for free and made everything neat and pretty in my binder. I am not one of those CRAZIES like on TLC. That is hoarding plain and simple. Let's check back with those people in a few years and see how obese they are from all that processed food they are stock piling. I do enjoy a good deal on overpriced razors, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and headache medication however. I still enjoy a good shopping trip at Aldi before I will buy from Kroger just because I might have a coupon or two. I'll always be an Aldi girl, no brand loyalty here. I'm cheap that's all there is to it.

I will admit though I got into a bad habit of just throwing junk in the cart and then being unpleasantly surprised by the total. Not sure where I learned that habit because my mom sure didn't teach it to me. I think after so many years of pinching pennies after I got my house I just was happy when I was finally able to spend money and not have to count every cent of it or worry about an over-draft. Now I've decided that if we want to spoil kids in the future I should be a little more money conscious. My husband is way ahead of me, he's just about the cheapest person I know but I love that about him. (most of the time)

So back to the coupons, I am so irritated that people feel the need to clear the friggin shelves the day the ad comes out. For example, there was a super great deal on razors last week. They were buy one get one free and I had 2 coupons. At CVS you can use both coupons since you are getting 2 items but what happens is the total of the coupons goes toward one product! So both razors were free! I was so pumped with my two coupons I skipped on in to CVS (no really I skipped I was that excited to get something FREE) and low and behold NO razors. Dude, the ad JUST came out. The sale just started that day. Oh I was so mad. Who needs 20 razors? I keep reading that places like CVS and Walgreens do not carry a ton of stock, understandable but come on, it's the day of the ad and they are gone, I'm willing to bet some nut job who most likely digs through trash cans, solicits their friends and neighbors for coupons, and goes through the recycling bin at recycling center, is to blame. If any of those things describe you, please stop! Buy 2 get your deal and go.

So today I went to Wal-mart to pick up "money-maker" items. I was also very excited about this because I've never attempted this feat. All I wanted was 2 bottles of 10ct Advil and some Dial lotion. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so because they were all gone. This is Wal-Mart we are talking about here so I don't want any excuses of "we just don't stock enough product" bull shit. Someone came and cleared the shelves. Are you telling me someones skin was so dry and flaking off that they needed 20 some bottles of lotion??? Here is the other thing. These people who let their "stock piles" take over their entire house, that's just dumb. Who wants to decorate their master bedroom with a wall full of cereal? And unless you have 10 kids how are you EVER going to eat that much cereal. I saw one episode where a family bought 540 yogurts (all of them had the candy on top so not necessarily healthy). Really? How can you eat that much yogurt before it spoils? On another episode this lady specifically said to her husband "clear the shelf"....of 62 mustards. Then the poor guy says "I don't even like mustard". Not to mention the fact that this show is completely set up. What cashier is their right mind would be happy about your 8 transactions and 100 coupons? All I know is the girls at CVS see that I have 4 and they cringe. One girl got so flustered when the total said -.20 that she voided the transaction 3 times before she figured out my coupons/extra care cash.

So that is my rant for the day, I'll keep couponing because I like to save money and I don't need 40 hours a week to develop a shopping list. I just hope people get bored with it and give it up or realize that maybe it wasn't a good plan to turn the garage/basement/bedrooms into stock pile shelters. I have a closet with a couple shampoos, toothpastes, toothbrushes and deodorant. That's good enough for me.

I just found this article. Thank goodness! It's about time they put an end to the craziness. Limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment